Lasagne is one of those family favourites that is enjoyed by everyone. This vegetarian version of the classic lasagne is both tasty and nutritious. There is quite a bit of preparation time involved in putting this recipe together however the result more than makes up for this. This recipe serves 6.
1 large eggplant, diced
1 teaspoon of salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic crushed
1 carrot peeled and diced
2 tsp ginger minced
1 brown onion diced
1 green capsicum chopped
1 red capsicum chopped
200g of button mushrooms sliced
400g of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp of fresh oregano chopped finely
1 tbsp of rosemary chopped finely
300ml vegetable stock
150g of baby spinach chopped
3 tbsp plain flour
1 cup of cheese grated
375g lasagne sheets
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese finely grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
2. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt, place in a colander and stand for 20 minutes. Rinse under water and pat dry with a paper towel.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic, ginger, carrot and onion, cook stirring for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is cooked. Add the eggplant and capsicums, cook stirring for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
4. Cheese Sauce – Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, add the flour and stir over a medium heat for 1 minute or until the mixture forms a ball. Remove from the heat, gradually whisk in the milk. Stir over a medium heat until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in the cheddar cheese and season to taste.
5. Pour a third of the cheese sauce over the base of a 6 cup oven proof baking dish. Cover with a third of the pasta, then half the vegetable mixture. Repeat layers using vegetables and pasta
6. Pour remaining cheese sauce over pasta layer, making sure all the pasta is covered. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 – 50 mins or until the top is golden brown and the pasta is tender.